I’ve never done an official introduction on our blog, and besides the biography on our website, I thought it was important to tell you 10 things you might not know about me!
photo credit: Molly Bea Photography circa 2011
Of course, you already know that I am a photographer and have a brother 🙂 If you follow me on social media, you also probably know that I am married with kids and have a cute dog, but here’s some random things you may not know!
1. Mike and I have been married for almost 17 years after dating for only 3 months! We knew each other in college and had mutual friends, but we didn’t begin dating until four years after I graduated from college when he swept me off my feet. We’re the product of “you NEVER know!”
2. I have two kids! Jonah is 13 and Lydia is 10. They are polar opposites of one another. Jonah is outgoing, fearless, comical, and keeps me humble. Lydia is responsible, hard working, mature, and spunky with those who know her best. They are my world.
3. I’ve been a vegetarian since I was twelve! At the time, the thought of eating a once living animal grossed me out. I’ve stuck with it for all these years, but I eat turkey bacon now. I know, weird. Don’t try to understand it; it makes no sense! I do cook meat for my family– which further confirms my decision to stay away from it.
4. Before kids and photography, I was a high school English teacher! That seems like a lifetime ago, but I can always see ways my former career influences my current work– including ways to wrangle a large wedding party while working quickly to keep their attention! I do read as much as I can. My favorite books? The Great Gatsby, Poisonwood Bible, The Nightingale, Moll Flanders…
5. I love my dog! I used to hate dogs. I think I can use language that strong. I told Mike while we were dating that it was either “me or a dog.” Two of my favorite Senior students gave me dog Dixie cups and cat napkins for Christmas because I may have told them that I lost my appetite around animals. Kids have a way of changing you, though, and now this fur creature is my sidekick. I can’t imagine life without our Crosby. I’d let him share my pillow if Mike would let me.
6. I love Beachbody workouts! About a year and a half ago, I put so much energy into my business and family that I neglected to take care of myself. I had always been a runner and even ran my first marathon in Honolulu, but I discovered Beachbody through a friend’s Facebook post. I’ve been hooked ever since. I’ve found balance, feel healthy, rarely get sick, and now have no problem working those long wedding days! 21 Day Fix, 21 Day Fix Extreme, Hammer and Chisel, T25, Core De Force— I’ve done it all. I’m currently tackling Insanity Max 30 and have justifiably proven that I am insane. That is one tough program!
7. I am a wimp! Self professed. My family teases me all the time. Theme parks? I’ll sit on the bench and people watch. Camping? Are you kidding me? There’s no locks on a tent! And don’t ask me to go down the stairs at night after the lights are out. I will sprint up the stairs at lightning speed because I don’t want someone to get me!
8. I have a huge sweet tooth! Even though I eat healthy for meals, I have to have my “closure.” It’s not uncommon for me to have an assortment of empty bowls of chocolate chips and peanut butter sitting around my desk.
9. Hulu is my guilty pleasure! I love a good TV series, and chances are if it’s an Emmy award winning show, I’ve seen it.
10. Troy and I are the only kids in our family! Our parents have been married for 45 years and we all live within a mile of one another. More on that later…
So there you go. You’ve been informed. What’s something I might not know about you?